Winter Weather Guide
Winter weather and city services
City of Crete personnel are tasked with services in preparation for, during, and after winter weather events.
- Police Department (24 hours) - 402.826.4311
- Public Works Department - 402.826.4312
- Calls after regular business hours will be directed to an answering service and relayed to on-call personnel
Sign up for emergency alerts
- Residents can receive emergency alerts for Crete and the surrounding area by subscribing to Blue Rivers Basin Community Alert System (Gage, Jefferson, and Saline Counties). Sign up here.
Electrical and street issues
- To report power outages, problems with electrical service, street issues (including fallen branches on streets) and other concerns, please call Public Works, 402.826.4312
- Snow is removed according to the city’s approved snow plan, which takes into account emergency snow routes, arterial streets, weather forecast, and current conditions.
- The Street Department uses a salt brine pretreatment on priority streets if conditions allow before a forecasted winter weather event. Rainfall during this process can wash away the brine or make it ineffective. Salting/sanding streets remains part of the department’s practice during winter weather.
Sidewalk snow removal
- Business occupants are responsible for snow removal on sidewalks in the business district within 5 hours after accumulation ends and by 8:30 a.m. if snow falls overnight.
- In residential areas, residents are responsible for clearing sidewalks within 24 hours after accumulation ends.
- City Code, Chapter 8, Article 2
Emergency Snow Routes (map above or view pdf)
- After a significant snow event, three or more inches of accumulation, the city may declare a Snow Emergency, during which time parking along marked Emergency Snow Routes is prohibited and vehicles in violation will be towed.
- The city has marked Emergency Snow Routes on arterial streets including: Highway 33/103, Hawthorne, Boswell, Iris, and Main Avenues; East 1st, East 4th, East 5th, East 9th, East 14th, East 15th, and East 29th Streets; others include Betten Rd., the entire downtown area and streets around Crete Elementary school. City Code, Chapter 5, Article 2
Garbage and recycling collection
- If severe weather conditions warrant a stoppage or delay in garbage or recycling collection, the city will make efforts to notify customers through social media and the city website.