Library set to open Aug. 3 with visitor restrictions in place
Patron capacity, use of space, library services all will be limited
Update July 31: As of Monday Aug. 3, Crete Public Library will be open for a limited number of patrons. Guidelines include the following:
- Priority hour for seniors and vulnerable patrons to browse – 10 :00- 11:00 a.m. Monday – Saturday
- Browsing materials is available
- Limited use of meeting rooms
- Existing entry guidelines maintained - Face coverings required and hand sanitizer (library provided)
- Face coverings not required for those aged 4 and under
- Maintain 6-foot distance and to follow any additional Directed Health Measures
- No food or drink allowed
Use of Library Space
- Ten (10) visitors are allowed at one time (excluding staff and those in meeting rooms)
- Family units count as one person
- Individuals under the age of 12 must be accompanied and supervised by an adult
- Furniture and tables have been moved to ensure social distancing
- If necessary, visits will be limited to 30 minutes
- Patrons encouraged to use self-checkout machine
- No magazines or newspapers available
- One restroom in the adult side of the library is available for emergency use only
- Due to the nature of browsing, Crete Public Library cannot ensure that all shelved items are sanitary
- Priority given to those who made a reservation (call the library, 402.826.3809)
- Only one person/group per room, per day
- No time limits
- All people using the meeting rooms must sign a waiver
- Maximum 1 person in the 2-person study room
- Maximum 2 people in the 4-person study rooms
- Maximum 4 people in the UBT meeting room
- Daily cleaning prior to opening
Update June 30: Four patron computers will be available by appointment only starting on July 1. Call the library, 402.826.3809, to reserve a time. Computers will be located in the front entrance area and instructions for use will be posted. These include:
- Face covering is required and must be worn at all times. If you don’t have a face covering, a mask will be provided. Take your mask with you when you leave.
- First-time computer users must sign a waiver located at the workstations. They will be kept on file for future reference.
- No access to restrooms or drinking fountain.
- Patrons must sanitize hands after entering and before leaving the library. Sanitizing station located just inside the library doors.
- Patrons may use the computer for 45 minutes. If no one has made an appointment for the next time slot, patrons may stay at their workstation for a longer period of time.
- Computer use is for individuals aged 12 and above. No children aged 11 and under are allowed inside the building.
- Two people who reside in the same household may sit at the same workstation.
- Patrons must bring their own headphones.
- Printing services are available.
- Additional instructions are located at each workstation - read these carefully.
- Ring bell and a librarian will meet you at the door.
Patrons may continue to reserve and checkout library materials through the online library catalog and pick up at the window on the south side of the building. (See below for more details.)
Update June 1: Crete Public Library's Summer Reading Program is moving online for 2020 due to current public health conditions. "Imagine Your Story" is this year's theme and library staff aim to provide multiple ways for library patrons and young readers to participate through online partners, Zoom, and outdoor activities families can do on their own. Find more information in the Summer Reading section.
Update March 18: Access to the library collections is closed to the public until further notice. Library staff is on hand and can provide limited services through the pickup window on the south and through phone calls, 402.826.3809.
Limited services and materials from the library are available:
- Normal due date and other circulation policies will remain in effect, i.e. length of checkout and damaged materials.
- The Library pickup window hours are as follows:
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday - 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.;
- Tuesday and Thursday - 10:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.;
- Saturday - 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Drive-thru pickup of items is available at the pickup window on the south side of the building, near the 15th Street and Forest Avenue intersection.
- Patrons may call the library and request that items be held at the for them at the library.
- Or reserve items from the online Library Catalog. Log in to your account using your patron card number (without the P), and the phone number you have listed on your library account (without the 402 or hyphen. Only include the area code if the phone number does not have a 402 area code). Find the item you wish to check out and click on the title. Click on 'Reserve this item. Find more information on reserving materials.
- All materials are available to be reserved except board books and magazines
- When you arrive at the pickup window, please call the library phone number (Listed on a sign at the window) and we will be there to help you as soon as possible.
- InterLibrary Loan (ILL) service is open for books not in the CPL collection, but available at other libraries that are still offering the service at this time; patrons do pay the mailing cost (one way only) for books loaned through this service.
- All returned materials are wiped down with disinfectant and put in “quarantine” for four days. Then they will be checked in. This is to ensure that items on hold are not made available until the quarantine is complete. If a patron receives a reminder to return a book that was already returned, patrons are requested to ignore these messages. If fines start accruing during the quarantine period, these will be forgiven.
- OverDrive offers patrons access to online, downloadable AudioBooks and eBooks. To use these resources, you’ll need either an individual or a family library card in good standing.
- Mobile printing is available
- Patron WIFI is available in the seating areas outside the library. Password is: CreteLibrary