Police Chief - City of Crete
Application packets due by Aug. 26
Crete is a growing and diverse 'community in motion' with over 7,000 residents who call it home. We embrace our pioneering heritage and present-day diversity and continue to thrive with a strong economy, successful school system, and safe parks and neighborhoods.
The City of Crete has nearly 70 full time employees. No matter what role you have with us, you are sure to experience growth, professional development, and career achievements.
The City of Crete is taking applications for the position of Chief of Police. Full-time position; excellent benefits and there is an incentive offered to interested homebuyers in Crete. General functions: Plan, direct, manage and oversee the activities and operations of the Police Department including crime prevention, investigation and other law enforcement activities; coordinate assigned activities with other City departments and outside agencies; and provide policy, technical and administrative support to the Mayor, City Council and City Administrator. (See full job description for more information.)
- Possess a valid Nebraska driver’s license.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Public Administration, Criminal Justice, Political Science or related field and fifteen (15) years of experience in law enforcement, with a minimum of five (5) years of command staff experience, or any equal combination of education and experience.
- Must be a certified law enforcement officer with the State of Nebraska.
- If not Supervision and Management certified, must complete the NLETC Supervision course (as offered) within one (1) year of hiring.
- Must reside within the City of Crete within 6 months of appointment date.
- Must be able to legally work in the United States.
- Must meet all other requirements identified in the Crete Civil Service Rules and Regulations.
- Shall be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation including a fingerprint search conducted of local, state and national fingerprint files and have not been convicted of a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude.
- External finalist must be able to pass a physical examination, drug screen, and a criminal background check including completion of a polygraph examination.
Applications will be accepted no later than 5:00 p.m. on Aug. 26, 2022 and may be obtained from the link below or by contacting the Human Resources Director at City Hall. The City of Crete is an equal opportunity employer. Applications should be completed and submitted in one of the following ways:
- Download the application and job description, type responses, print as PDF and email to email@example.com
- Print, write responses, scan, and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax to 402-826-4334
- Mail to the attention of Wendy Thomas, Human Resources, City of Crete, at PO Box 86, Crete, NE 68333-0086
- Drop off at Crete City Hall - 243 East 13th Street
View/download the application packet, which includes:
- Letter of instruction
- Employment application
- Basic qualifications checklist
- Authorization and release form
- Job description
For additional inquiries, please contact:
Wendy Thomas, Human Resources Director
City Hall - 243 East 13th Street
Crete NE 68333-0086
Phone: 402.826.4313 Fax: 402.826.4334