Garbage, Recycling and Transfer Station
City of Crete
Departments of Public Works
Solid Waste Department
& No-Sort Recycling Program
City Hall - 243 East 13th Street
Public Works: 402.826.4312
The Garbage Company: 1.800.322.4272
Public Works Directory
The City of Crete garbage and no-sort recycling collection is provided by The Garbage Company once a week for each garbage and recycling. Garbage totes are 65 or 95 gallon; a 32 gallon residential recycling tote is provided free of charge. With the No-Sort Recycling Program customers are not required to sort recyclable items. (Please see list of accepted recyclable items). The Garbage Company offers an optional yard service from April 1 to Nov. 30 for the disposal of yard waste.
(Large garbage items and yard waste: The Transfer Station/Landfill on North Boswell is open twice a week for disposal of larger loads of household trash and items (for a fee) or free disposal of yard waste and metal/iron. Click here for Transfer Station information.)
Weekly Collection Schedules:
- Garbage collection is on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Fridays (depending on address): view Garbage Collection Routes
- Recycling Collection is on Mondays and Thursdays for the following areas:
- Monday Pick-Up: Area South of 13th Street (excluding Lothrop Heights and Westwoods Addition).
- Thursday Pick-Up: Area North of 13th Street and including Lothrop Heights and Westwoods Addition.
- The Garbage Company is closed on New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day
- On Thanksgiving Day and if New Year's Day and Christmas Day occur on Monday - Friday, trash/recycling collection will run one (1) day behind AFTER the holiday; (no change in pickup if New Year's and Christmas Day fall on Saturday/Sunday)
- On collection day or the night before, totes should be placed next to the curb, not blocking the sidewalk and away from other obstacles such as posts or vehicles. On any day not scheduled for pickup, totes should be stored adjacent to the residence and not in front yards or at the street. Fines may be assessed for containers are left at the curb.
- City code (Chapter 4) states residents who wish to offer furniture and other items that someone may want are allowed to leave it near the curb for 24 hours; after that, items need to be removed. Fines may be assessed for items left over 24 hours.
Accepted Recyclable Items:
- Please rinse out all food and beverage containers, plastic and glass items before recycling;
- Aluminum & Tin: Aluminum and tin cans, formed aluminum containers (example: disposable pie plates) and clean aluminum foil;
- Paper: Newspaper (including advertising supplements), magazines, brown grocery bags, telephone books, catalogs, office paper, junk mail, envelopes; empty chipboard (cereal boxes), wet strength carrier stock (TV dinner boxes).
- Cardboard: place clean corrugated cardboard boxes or shipping boxes under toter; break down or cut boxes so they are flat and no bigger than 2 X 2 ft;
- Plastic: numbers 1 - 7 plastic containers (numbers are located on bottom of container): soda/water/juice bottles, milk bottles, butter tubs, sour cream carton, dip containers, detergent/bleach bottles, household cleaner bottles etc.;
- Glass: all types of glass.
- Not accepted: Styrofoam, rubber bands, soiled paper (pizza boxes/sandwich wrappers), food, tissue paper, paper towels, wax coated paper, shrink-wrap, plastic bags or wood.
Garbage Collection Rates:
- Residential Rates:
- Small Tote (65 gallon) $17.61
- Large Tote (95 gallon) $17.93
- 2 Totes $21.29
- Seasonal Yard Waste $12.00
- Commercial Garbage and Recycling Rates: Contact The Garbage Company directly at 1.800.322.4272 for service and rates.
- More information on Utility Billing and Payments...