Garbage, Recycling and Transfer Station
City of Crete
Departments of Public Works
Solid Waste Department
& No-Sort Recycling Program
City Hall - 243 East 13th Street
Public Works: 402-826-4312
The Garbage Company: 1-800-322-4272
Public Works Directory
The City of Crete garbage collection and no-sort recycling service is provided by The Garbage Company. Residential collection service is picked up once a week for each garbage and recycling; garbage totes are 65 or 95 gallon; a 32 gallon recycling tote is provided free of charge. With the No-Sort Recycling Program customers are not required to sort recyclable items. (Please see list of accepted recyclable items). The Garbage Company offers an optional yard service from April 1 to Nov. 30 for the disposal of yard waste.
On collection day or the night before, totes should be placed next to the curb, not blocking the sidewalk and away from other obstacles such as posts or vehicles. On any day not scheduled for pickup, totes should be stored adjacent to the residence and not in front yards or at the street. Fines may be assessed for containers are left at the curb.
The Transfer Station on North Boswell is open twice a week for disposal of larger loads of household trash and large items (for a fee) or free disposal of yard waste. See below for more information.
- City code (Chapter 4) states residents who wish to offer furniture and other items that someone may want are allowed to leave it near the curb for 24 hours; after that, items need to be removed. Fines may be assessed for items left over 24 hours.
- Garbage collection is on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays: view Garbage Collection Routes
- Recycling Collection is on Mondays and Thursdays for the following areas:
- Monday Pick-Up: Area South of 13th Street (excluding Lothrop Heights and Westwoods Addition).
- Thursday Pick-Up: Area North of 13th Street and including Lothrop Heights and Westwoods Addition.
- The Garbage Company is closed on New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day
- On Thanksgiving Day and if New Year's Day and Christmas Day occur on Monday - Friday, trash/recycling collection will run one (1) day behind AFTER the holiday; (no change in pickup if New Year's and Christmas Day fall on Saturday/Sunday)
Garbage Collection Rates:
- Residential Rates:
- Small Tote (65 gallon) $17.61
- Large Tote (95 gallon) $17.93
- 2 Totes $21.29
- Seasonal Yard Waste $12.00
- Commercial Rates: Contact The Garbage Company directly at 1-800-322-4272 for service and rates.
- More information on Utility Billing and Payments...
Accepted Recyclable Items:
- Please rinse out all food and beverage containers, plastic and glass items before recycling;
- Aluminum & Tin: Aluminum and tin cans, formed aluminum containers (example: disposable pie plates) and clean aluminum foil;
- Paper: Newspaper (including advertising supplements), magazines, brown grocery bags, telephone books, catalogs, office paper, junk mail, envelopes; empty chipboard (cereal boxes), wet strength carrier stock (TV dinner boxes).
- Cardboard: place clean corrugated cardboard boxes or shipping boxes under toter; break down or cut boxes so they are flat and no bigger than 2 X 2 ft;
- Plastic: numbers 1 - 7 plastic containers (numbers are located on bottom of container): soda/water/juice bottles, milk bottles, butter tubs, sour cream carton, dip containers, detergent/bleach bottles, household cleaner bottles etc.;
- Glass: all types of glass.
Not accepted: Styrofoam, rubber bands, soiled paper (pizza boxes/sandwich wrappers) food, tissue paper, paper towels, wax coated paper, shrink-wrap, plastic bgs or wood.
Transfer Station - North Boswell
The transfer station is owned by the City of Crete and privately operated by The Garbage Company. It is located ½ mile north of Highway 33 on Boswell Avenue. Standard operating hours: Tuesday 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Branches and yard waste can be disposed of free of charge. Larger loads of household trash and waste can be disposed of at the transfer station in accordance to fees established by The Garbage Company. Miscellaneous items with fees include: carpet, mattresses and box springs, furniture, televisions, sinks, and toilets. Other materials deemed hazardous (railroad ties, insulation, paint cans) may have fees. Recyclable items are also accepted at the transfer station with flat rates for pickup and car loads.
Appliances, hot water heaters, metal and iron are accepted at no cost. Items with freon must have it removed and tagged.
Basic fees per vehicle load include:
- car trunk - $10
- small pickup - $15
- large pickup - $25
- trailer - $40
Not accepted: tires, farm truck loads, dump truck loads or semi loads.