Crete City Park
City Park is located on the south side of City Hall, bordered by 12th Street from Kingwood to Linden Ave. There are restrooms, greenspace and a large playground, which includes slides, swing sets, a teeter totter, circular climbing tower and a large play structure City Park is also home to several historic features which highlight the park as a beautiful and well-used community space.(Go to Parks and Recreation Department Main Page)
The fountain at the southwest corner of the park was originally dedicated on Nov. 13, 1915 as a gift from the Bohemian Ladies Park Club. It was manufactured by J.L. Mott Iron Works in New York City with a basin, two bowls, and a Grecian maiden statue called the “Goddess of Liberty,” holding a lighted globe.
The fountain was rededicated in October 2015 after vandals nearly destroyed it a year earlier. The fountain was restored for placement in a new, larger basin with a walkway and benches, insuring it continues to be a well-loved icon of Crete and City Park.
The bandstand in City Park was constructed in the summer of 1924, in time for an August concert by the 110th Medical Regiment Band, which formed in Crete the same year.
The bandstand continues to be the centerpiece of many family and community events held in City Park, including Crete Public Library’s Summer Reading Program, visits by Crete Elementary and St. James school classes, meals and gatherings.
City Park’s M4 Sherman tank sits at the northwest corner, south of the Crete Post Office. It was originally placed in the park in July 1960 by members of the National Guard. Maintenance in recent years was performed by guard members from the Combined Support Maintenance Shop at the Lincoln National Guard base.
About 50,000 M4’s were produced during WWII and Crete’s is an M4A3E8 produced in 1944. Many tanks of this configuration also served throughout the Korean Conflict. The tank was repainted to reflect its accurate service numbers and insignia.
Living Christmas Tree
The first Living Christmas Tree in Crete was placed on the north side of the current library in 1923 to promote a giving spirit all year long, a concept created by Crete resident Florence Hazen Miller. The idea persevered as several trees replaced the original over the years. Crete community members rededicated a new tree in December of 2012 in City Park.
Miller’s idea later reached the wife of President Calvin Coolidge and a National Christmas Tree was planted on the White House lawn in 1925. Many trees have been distributed around the world as a symbol of peace and unity.
The City Park rose garden is located along Linden Ave.
"Of Nebraska" Heart
The heart sculpture was part of a public art project, Nebraska By Heart, for which dozens of hearts were painted or adorned with designs by artists and citizens from around the state and auctioned for charity in October 2017. The heart was placed in City Park in May 2018 in the circular area once occupied by the fountain.
Michelle Hrbek's design features twelve women portraying cultures and ethnic groups, which relate to the state’s pioneering heritage and present day immigration. The women remain faceless to allow viewers the opportunity to see themselves within the representation. Hrbek teaches art at Lincoln Northeast High School and her husband’s parents are former Crete educators.