10/10/17 SHERWOOD FOUNDATION AWARDS $500,000 TO CRETE LIBRARY PROJECT
Here’s the latest Crete Library information! The first week in October, the City of Crete was awarded $500,000 from the Sherwood Foundation towards construction costs of the new library. A big thank you to Sherwood for valuing, supporting, and celebrating rural communities in Nebraska! This is particularly good news because it’s likely that prices for building materials will increase a lot over the next year due to the massive hurricane damage that occurred across the U.S. this year. These grant funds will help us build the square footage we want for the new library. This is very important because Crete’s library provides programs for schoolchildren that aren’t offered anywhere else in the community. These programs serve as an essential bridge for students to retain and develop reading skills and general knowledge between school years. Library program today, literary selfie…sometime in the future. #communityinmotion
08/18/17 CRETE HISTORIC DOWNTOWN BUSINESS DISTRICT - CLG PRESENTATION DATE
The Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office is scheduled to present information to the Crete City Council regarding the Certified Local Government (CLG) Program. The CLG Program is relevant to Crete’s Historic Downtown Business District.
Downtown Business Owners and all other interested parties are invited to attend this presentation.
When: Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 6:00p.m.
Where: Crete City Council Chambers, City Hall
Some of the Benefits of Becoming a Certified Local Government (CLG):
- Certified Local Governments have an additional tool when considering planning, zoning and land use issues through their landmarking and survey programs.
- Certified Local Governments have the ability to monitor and preserve structures that reflect the community's heritage.
- Certified Local Governments have access to a nationwide information network of local, state, federal and private preservation institutions.
- A Certified Local Government is eligible to receive matching funds from the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office that are unavailable to non-Certified Local Governments.
To qualify as a Certified Local Government (CLG), a municipality or county must:
- Establish a historic preservation ordinance that includes protection for historic properties at a level the community decides is appropriate.
- Create a preservation commission to oversee the preservation ordinance and the Certified Local Government program.
- Provide for public education and participation, including progress of nominating properties to the National Register of Historic Places.
- Conduct and maintain a survey and inventory of historic properties.
07/06/17 LIBRARY AND CIVIC CENTER PROJECT - GRANT AWARD
Hello to book lovers and library fans –Crete Economic Development is busy fundraising for the new library/civic center. If you haven’t heard the good news, our recent grant application to the Nebraska Department of Economic Development for Community Facilities funds was awarded. This grant provides us $375,000 in funding for construction. Building a new community library is a once-in-a-lifetime project, which makes it so exciting!! The current library was finished way back in 1915 and has served us well for over 100 years. Just think, the new library may very well still be serving our future generations in the year 2117. Who knows what great things will be invented by then? After all, by 1915 the telephone was just becoming widely popular, and check out the 1915 Cadillac Limousine pictured below! What changes 100 years have seen! #communityinmotion