The City of Crete offers a Swap Zone, a designated area where residents can safely meet others in person to complete transactions arranged online. This area is recorded by cameras and is available from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., helping citizens avoid meeting others at private residences or unfamiliar locations.
Safe Exchange Zone Policy
Crete Police Department (1945 Forest Ave.)
- Hours: Sunday - Saturday, 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- All sales, trades, and transactions are purely civil matters which must be agreed upon by all involved parties prior to arriving on City property.
- Crete Police employees or officers will not act as arbitrators, mediators, witnesses, or direct supervisors of transactions or exchanges.
- Although the space is in front of the Police Department, an officer or employee will not directly supervise your transactions. In the event of emergency, parties must call 911 to receive assistance.
- Crete Police will not appraise or evaluate items or goods and will not determine fair market value.
- No weapons, drugs, medications, or hazardous items (chemicals, explosives, etc.) are allowed to be traded using the Safe Exchange Zone.
- Property may not be dropped off or left unattended.
- Crete PD personnel may check an item on the request of a citizen to verify if the item was stolen. If the items are found to be stolen, an officer will be requested to respond and seize the property. No refunds or compensation will be provided for items found to be stolen.
- Video will be retained for 10 days. Any requests for video must be made within that time frame. Any requests beyond 10 days will not be accommodated.
- While the Swap Zone is recorded by CCTV, it is not monitored continuously.
- All buyers/sellers are encouraged to verify the identity of the people they are interacting with. If you are given a cashier’s check, money order, or equivalent, call the bank to verify the validity of the check or funds.
- Beware of common scams, such as checks for amounts higher than the amount agreed on in the transaction or persons requesting pre-paid cards instead of currency.