Tuxedo Park & Camping
West 13th Street at Tuxedo Road
The park's main entrance on Tuxedo Road has a two-lane, concrete bridge (new in 2021).
The largest park in Crete is Tuxedo Park, a 96-acre facility located in the northwest area of town, west of the Blue River. A broad range of recreational facilities are provided in the park. (Go to Parks and Recreation Department Main Page)
- Main entrance - two-lane, concrete Tuxedo Park bridge is open on Tuxedo Road off of West 13th Street. (New in April 2021)
- Alternate entrance, if needed, is accessed from Idaho Ave. off of West 13th, west of the Riverside Cemetery entrance.
- The dates for the 2024 Saline County Fair are July 16-21. Find fair information online.
Tuxedo Park RV campgrounds are closed during winter months. Restrooms and utilities remain closed until spring.
During the camping season, the park has public restrooms, shower facilities and fresh water available (April -October), 20 RV camping sites and picnic areas. Fee is $10 per day on a first come first serve basis; no reservations are taken. Find local weather conditions in the row of social media icons at the top of this page. Please use registration boxes with envelopes located at camping areas.
- Registration boxes by the baseball field restrooms and near the south playground;
- 10 RV hookups by the baseball field (along Old Settlers Rd) - 20 amp & 30 amp breaker and pads approximately 35 feet long;
- 10 RV hookups by the river (along Cottonwood Rd) - 30 amp & 50 amp breaker and pads approximately 40 feet long;
- Tent camping is free if not in an electrical camping spot (must register and pay $10 daily fee if using electricity);
- Please display registration in plain sight on the camper;
- Maximum stay is 10 nights;
- Campsite must be vacated by 4 p.m., unless reregistered;
- Dump station is on the south side of park;
- Campfires only in fire rings
- For questions, please call the Parks and Recreation Office at City Hall, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., 402.826.4315, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- After business hours, city service issues, 402.826.4312
- Crete Police Department Non-Emergency, 402.826.4311
- Emergency: 911
Athletic Fields, Playgrounds & Facilities
Athletic fields are closed during winter months. Restrooms and utilities remain closed until spring. Please do not use the playing fields during the winter to protect the grass.
Park trails remain open.
Thom Stallard Legion baseball field and press box and the Howard Waltman Softball Complex (four fields) host numerous teams and tournaments throughout the season. Baseball and softball areas both have dugouts, bleachers, concession stands, restrooms, and batting cages. Reserve a Tuxedo Park ball field on RecDesk.
- Home fields for:
- Crete Recreation Coed Softball (Sunday afternoons; 2023 season starts Aug. 6)
- Crete Legion Baseball and Crete Youth Baseball (Spring/Summer)
- Crete Diamonds Softball (Spring/Summer)
- Crete High School Baseball (Spring)
- Crete High School Softball Tournaments (Fall) (CHS Softball home field for regular games is on Iris Ave across from the high school)
Cerny Memorial Park is a playground on the south side of the park with slides, swing sets, climbing bar, small kids play area, and a sand box. The east playground, near the softball complex, includes a swing set, sand box and play structure. The park also has nature trails, horseshoe pits, and sand volleyball courts.
The Izaak Walton League cabin and shooting range (trap, skeet, sporting clays) is located in the northwest corner of the park. This cabin and range is maintained by the Crete Ikes organization.
A picnic shelter is located between the 4-H Exhibit Hall and the Sertoma Building, north of Sertoma Road. To reserve the picnic shelter for an event, call the Parks and Recreation Office at City Hall.
Saline County Fairgrounds
The Saline County Fairgrounds are located at the park for use during the fair (July 16-21, 2024). Several buildings are owned and maintained by the Saline County Agricultural Society and rental contact is available upon request or online. Find more fair information on Facebook.
The lakebed area in the southeast portion of Tuxedo Park is currently being leased for operation of a go kart track, Blue River Raceway. Use of this track is for scheduled races only and are slated for Saturdays from May through October. Find more information on Facebook.
A Nebraska Historical Marker stands inside the main entrance commemorating the Crete Chautauqua. The national Chautauqua movement started at Lake Chautauqua, N.Y. in 1874 as a program for Sunday school educators. The assemblies spread and Crete’s Chautauqua Assembly, first held in 1884, became the second largest in the country, attracting thousands of visitors every summer for entertainment, workshops, and recreation. Interest in the assemblies declined in the late 1890s. One original Chautauqua-era building remains in the park, north of the historical marker.
The City of Crete is diligent in the fight against disease carrying mosquitoes. Tuxedo Park is treated with spray on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings, weather conditions permitting. Spraying starts in June.
City of Crete
Parks & Recreation Department
City Hall - 243 East 13th Street