Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

City of Crete Nebraska




Ajax Loading Image


Business Registration and Licensing

Business Registrations

Every person or business engaged or intending to engage in any calling, business, occupation or profession by maintaining a business location, in whole or in part, within the limits of the City of Crete, Saline County, Nebraska, is required to register and pay an annual business registration fee for the privilege of doing business in the City. See Crete City Code, Chapter 10, Article 3. Contact the City Clerk for more information. 

View/Download 2024 Business Registration Form 

Go to the Building Inspector section for information on zoning issues and building permits.

Business and event permits and licensing: Return completed forms to the City Clerk's office.

Other permits related to City of Crete City Code ordinances may be required to hold certain events, including festivals, parades, temporary street closures, livestock events, and others. Contact the City Clerk for more information on documents not listed here. All forms and applications can be applied for at the City Clerk's office on the first floor of City Hall during regular business hours. Forms listed below can be downloaded, completed, and returned to the Clerk's office. Several additional business-related forms/applications from other city offices are included.

Itinerant Sales, Door-to-door Sales

Vendors and solicitors are required to carry the issued permit and must display such permit upon request. You will need a Nebraska Department of Revenue Sales Tax Number and personal identification to apply for the permit. View/download the itinerant sales application forms   

Special Event Permit

An application for a special event within the City of Crete requires information relating to the start and end times of the event, location, special equipment, and liquor license requirements, if applicable. (Event examples: festivals, parades, fun runs.) The application also includes a request for temporary use/closure of city streets and sidewalk right-of-way. View/download the special event permit application 

All-Terrain and Utility-Type Vehicle Use in City Limits 

ATVs and UTVs are allowed to operate within city limits under certain conditions and after completing a permitting process through the City Clerk's Office. See regulations in Chapter 5, Article 9View/download the event registration application 

Prohibited Animal Exception

Crete City Code states: a valid permit must issued by the City for the following: (a) Livestock animals temporarily held for sale on commercially zoned lots that are used as a veterinary clinic. (b) Livestock animals used in or associated with short-term activities of no more than eight hours in duration that have been approved by the City Administrator. (c) Livestock animals used in or associated with temporary events that have been approved by the City Council, including, but not limited to, fairs, rodeos, circuses, demonstrations, parades, and shows. (d) Birds of the family Anatidae that are owned by and kept upon property owned by Doane University. (e) Livestock animals used for educational purposes that are kept within educational institutions. View/download the prohibited animals exception permit application 

Fireworks Sales

The retail sales of fireworks are allowed in the City of Crete from June 28 - July 4. You must possess a Nebraska State Sales Tax number and a permit to sell fireworks from the Nebraska State Fire Marshall. A permit to sell fireworks within the corporate limits of the City of Crete is require from the City Clerk's office. View/download the fireworks sales application and information forms 

Liquor License - Special Events

Any establishment that has a State of Nebraska Liquor License can apply to the Nebraska Liquor Control Commission for a Special Designated License to cater an event. Non-profit organizations are also able to apply to the Liquor Control Commission for a Special Designated License to serve alcohol at an event.

Sidewalk Cafe Permit

Please be advised: Sidewalk Cafés cannot be constructed or operated until all permits are issued, not just applied for. Please read Crete Municipal Code Chapter 8, Article 2, Section 214 thoroughly before applying for a permit. License year for this permit is Oct.1 - Sept. 30. For complete information on the Sidewalk Cafe Permit requirements, view/download the application sheet and checklist 

  • "The record owners of commercial or mixed use property abutting sidewalk right-of-way in areas zoned C-1 Central Commercial District may apply for and obtain a permit to use so much of the sidewalk right-of-way abutting their property as the City determines is not needed for the use of the general public for sidewalk cafés."

Plumber's License Renewal Form (Building Inspector's Office)

Reminder to all plumbers doing business in the City of Crete and within two miles thereof: On Dec. 31, 2022 your current City of Crete Plumber’s Registration expires. It’s time to renew your annual City of Crete Master Plumber Contractor’s Registration for your company and your employees. All on-site employees must hold current City of Crete registrations. View/download the Plumbers License Renewal 2024 

Find more information and permit applications from the Building Inspector.

Commercial Snow Removal Permit (Public Works Office)

A City of Crete permit is needed to move snow in city right-of-way. Current permits are issued to applicants for the winter season, 2023-2024. Find this permit online in the Forms and Documents section or at the City Hall Utility Office; completed forms should be returned to the Utility Office, with a ground floor entrance on the south side of City Hall. Residents and commercial operators should also note it is against city code to push snow off private property onto city right-of-way. Citations can be issued.

State of Nebraska links:


City of Crete  
Nancy Tellez,  City Clerk

City Hall - 243 East 13th Street
Crete NE 68333-0086
Phone: 402.826.4313
Fax: 402.826.4334