Online Resources & Databases
Current library hours:
- Monday and Friday - 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday - 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday - 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Crete Public Library
1515 Forest Ave.
Crete, NE 68333
(Find more information about computer use and printing at the library.)
Search Local Newspapers
The Crete News and older, preceding local newspapers in one database. Find news articles from 01/01/1871 – 12/31/2017.
The Doane Owl, student newspaper of Doane University ('Doane College' prior to 2016). Find articles from 1879-2019.
Newspapers Archive now available on a trial basis
The Nebraska Library Commission is offering the Newspapers Archive database on a trial basis to determine the level of interest from Nebraskans.
- Ability to search across nearly 16,000 newspaper publications, containing over 3 billion articles and photos
- Content dating from 1607 to the present
- Coverage from 48 countries and all 50 U.S. states.
- Tools to help search, discover, save, and share the stories you find
Click on the link below to access the Newspapers Archive database
National Emergency Library
The National Emergency Library is a collection of books that supports emergency remote teaching, research activities, independent scholarship, and intellectual stimulation while universities, schools, training centers, and libraries are closed.
Nebraska Access offers free 24/7 access to websites selected by librarians, full text government publications and Nebraska historical resources. NebraskAccess also provides Nebraska residents with premium databases containing thousands of full text popular magazine and journal articles; primary source documents; genealogical, health, legal, small business, and science resources; reading recommendations; and research resources for K-12 students. These resources are available to Nebraska residents at no cost. The Nebraska Library Commission purchases subscriptions for Nebraskans with funding from the State of Nebraska and the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Online Databases & Resource Collections (accessible from Crete Public Library’s online catalog main page under 'Electronic Resources')
- EBSCOhost - magazine articles
- Biography Reference Bank - top-ranked biographical reference collections and magazines
- Consumer Health Complete - access to health care information, including patient fact sheets, complete health reference books, pamphlets, health magazines and journals, drug information, etc.
- Explora Public Libraries and Explora for grades K-8 - easy-to-use features and reliable contact from leading magazines and reference books.
- Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia - Features over 25,000 informative segments of the encyclopedia, with alphabetically arranged articles, illustrations and maps. Updated annually.
- Legal Information Reference Center - online full-text consumer legal reference books and thousands of multi-state legal forms.
- MasterFILE Complete - the largest collection of the most popular full-text magazines, journals, and other highly-regarded sources from the world's leading publishers, covering virtually every subject area of general interest.
- MyHeritiage Library Edition NE - Features over 8 billion primary historical records from the United States, Europe, and other regions, with coverage starting from the 16th century. Often accompanied by true document images, these records illuminate historical realities across a wide variety of regions.
- NoveListK8 Plus and NoveList Plus - children in grades K-8, parents and teachers can identify books appropriate for children’s reading abilities and interests; read alike lists on who writes like other authors; book discussions and genres.
- Points of View Reference Center - more than 370 topics, each with an overview, point, and counterpoint; critical analysis to help readers evaluate the controversy.
- Primary Search - full-text for nearly 100 of the most popular childcare’s magazines.
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection - comprehensive resource for psychologists, counselors, researchers and students.
- Science & Technology Collection - database with access to leading full-text journals covering relevant aspects of the scientific and technical community.
- Small Business Reference Center - information on small business and entrepreneurial subject areas.
- Project Gutenberg - 30,000 free, downloadable ebooks.
The following pdf documents contain many online links for genealogy research:
- Family History Resources: state archives, historical and genealogical societies, online newspaper archives (by state)
- Tips on Researching Military Service Records: federal, state, and local sources, terminology, military organizations and research entities
Czech History in Nebraska
A digitized edition of the book "A History of Czechs (Bohemians) in Nebraska," complied by Rose Rosicky. Published in 1929.
Find voter registration forms at the links below:
Check with library staff for books that provide interviewing and resume guidance. Patron computers are also available at the library for online job searches. If you need direct assistance with filling out an application the Community Assistance Office at City Hall would be happy to help. See the Employment Resources page in the Living in Crete section for local and other job search links.
Other online resources
- https://supremecourt.nebraska.gov/forms - forms currently available to the public and attorneys through the Nebraska Administrative Office of the Courts.
- https://supremecourt.nebraska.gov/self-help - forms and information found on this online self-help center are provided by the Nebraska Supreme Court’s Committee on Self-Represented Litigation as part of the Nebraska Supreme Court’s commitment to ensuring that all Nebraskans have meaningful and full access to the judicial system, including those Nebraskans who represent themselves.
- http://crete.driving-tests.org - a free driver education program
- Resume Generator - Free online resume creator
- Got Resume Builder- Free online resume creator
- https://dol.nebraska.gov/UIBenefits - This link provides more information about Unemployment Insurance Benefits. Under Instructions, you can find step-by-step instructions for filing a claim. There is also contact information available for any questions regarding Unemployment Insurance Benefits.
- https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ - The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) regulates the offering and provision of consumer financial products or services under the federal consumer financial laws and educates and empowers consumers to make better informed financial decisions.
- Parent's Guide to Fentanyl: This comprehensive guide equips parents with valuable information, including tips, warning signs, and helpful videos/articles. It empowers parents to protect their children from the dangers of fentanyl and make informed decisions regarding substance use.
- Protecting Children From Online Drug Dealers: This resource provides essential tools to safeguard children, including the "Emoji code" to identify online drug dealing, insights into the dark web, and other online safety measures.