Cemetery and Columbarium
City of Crete
Departments of Public Works
City Hall - 243 East 13th Street
Riverside Cemetery & Columbarium - West 13th Street
Blue Valley Cemetery - 744 County Rd. 2350
Public Works: 402.826.4312
Public Works Directory
Open hours 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. View map of cemetery locations.
The main entrance to Riverside Cemetery is located just over the West 13th Street bridge in the northwest corner of Crete. The cemetery was platted in 1879 as a park-like space with tree-lined roadways. Limestone retaining walls line the oldest portions of the cemetery.
Blue Valley Cemetery is a rural cemetery south of Crete. It was the town's original cemetery before the establishment of Riverside and is still in use today.
The City of Crete owns and manages the municipal cemeteries through the Cemetery board, appointed by the Mayor and approved by the City Council. These areas are maintained by Public Works employees. See information below about searchable, online cemetery maps.
View/download plot and burial pricing and columbarium rules.
For columbarium inquiries, please contact City Hall at 402.826.4312 or 826.4313.
For purchase of a burial plot, please contact Kuncl Funeral Home: 402-826-5178.
Searchable cemetery maps for the municipal cemeteries are available online on the city's gWorks site. The Layers tab is accessed on the left hand side of the screen. Select Cemeteries and zoom in to the cemetery area on the map.
When selecting the Cemeteries Layers, viewers can choose from the two municipal cemeteries for specific grave information: Riverside Cemetery or Blue Valley Cemetery. (Sacred Heart Catholic Cemetery Layer includes only a basic layout.). When the Cemeteries Layer is selected, use the search field on the right hand side to search for names, dates, etc. and filter the results.
Navigating Cemetery layers and sub-sections for municipal cemeteries, Riverside and Blue Valley cemeteries:
- Annotations - show alphabetical Block Sections
- Annotation Reference Points - show other structures or objects in the cemetery
- Grave Spaces: individual grave spaces with labels; selecting (clicking) a space shows the date of birth and death and exact location. (All information may not be current.)
- Lot Owners and Lots; Labels of lot numbers; this layer is more visible if the Grave Spaces layer is not selected
- Riverside Columbarium
- The graphical representation of this layer on the map is not shown as it is exactly in the cemetery, but uses boxes in a grid on the screen to help identify individual spaces in the actual columbarium walls.