Utility Bills and Rates
City Hall is open to in-person visitors. Mask are available at building entrances.
City of Crete
Departments of Public Works
Utilities and Payments
City Hall - 243 E. 13th Street
(Utility Office main entrance on south side)
P.O. Box 86
Crete, NE 68333
Public Works Directory
- A Utility Service Application must be filed in person with the Public Works Utility Office to set up a utility account;
- Billing includes electric, water, and wastewater services provided by the City of Crete and trash collection, with optional recycling service, franchised through The Garbage Company;
- A service deposit is required on all addresses; transferable if the resident moves to a new address within City service;
- Current utility customers who change residences in town or move out of Crete must update or terminate their service account at the Utility Office.
- If residents have any ongoing or immediate utilities issues or concerns they should to call the Public Works Office. If situations occur after regular business hours, calls to this number will be answered by dispatchers who will notify the proper on-call city personnel. This is the most direct and efficient way to contact the city regarding these issues.
- All utility billing statements are mailed the last business day of the month;
- Bills are due by 5:00 p.m. on the 15th of each month;
- Bills paid by the 15th include a 10% discount; accounts paid after this due date are subject to forfeiture of this discount;
- Accounts not paid by the due date receive a courtesy notice; a disconnect date is noted on the original bill and the courtesy notice;
- All accounts left unpaid at 9:00 a.m. on the disconnect day are considered disconnected, regardless of actual physical disconnection. To resume service, customers are required to pay billing due along with a $40.00 reconnect fee for each instance of disconnection. (See the Utilities Disconnect Policy below for more information regarding specific situations and assistance.)
Making a Payment:
- Personal checks, money orders, cash, or debit/credit cards are accepted;
- Pay in person at the Public Works Utility Office at City Hall, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (drive-thru and night drop available)
- Customers must have utility bill with them when making a payment in person;
- Pay by mail to City of Crete Public Works Department, 243 East 13th Street, Crete, NE 68333
- Please include bottom portion of utility bill with payment;
- Make a payment online
- 'Xpress Bill Pay' is the City's online payment service for utility accounts - effective August 2020;
- Patrons will be asked to sign up for an account with an email and password on Xpress Bill Pay;
- Autopay and paperless billing options available through Xpress Bill Pay
- There is no convenience fee when using online payments.
- If you have any other questions, visit the Public Works Office at City Hall.
- View Current Electric Rates
- View Current Water Rates
- Residential Sewer Rate: Monthly customer fee $29.70, plus $2.63 per 1,000 gallons average monthly water consumption for the lowest three months of water usage of the five winter months of November, December, January February and March (Calculated each April) or $37.51 average sewer fee for customers without usage history.
- Commercial Sewer Rates: Contact the Public Works Office at 402-826-4312.
- Garbage and Recycling Weekly Collection: Residential Rates - Monthly: Single Tote: $19.95; Two Totes: $24.70; Seasonal Yard Waste: $12.00. A separate recycling tote is included free of charge. Commercial Rates: Totes and dumpsters are available with options for the number of weekly collections. Contact The Garbage Company directly at 1-800-322-4272.
- Please see the Public Works sections at left for more information on these City departments.
- City Master Fee Schedule: A comprehensive list of all city fees for services, permits, utilities, and programs across all departments and offices. View the Master Fee Schedule
Energy Efficiency Programs
The City of Crete Department of Public Works, in partnership with its wholesale electric power supplier, the Municipal Energy Agency of Nebraska, is continuing to provide four energy efficiency programs to assist in lowering energy costs for local utility customers through energy efficiency improvements. Find more information and application materials.
Billing disputes: If you have a dispute over a utility bill, you may file a written request with the Public Works Department, located at City Hall, 241 East 13th Street, Crete Nebraska 68333, Prior to the disconnect date, stating the area of dispute and the relief requested. The Public Works Department shall schedule a conference within fourteen (14) days and notify you in writing by first class mail or in person of the time and place it will be held. No disconnect will be made until the conference is concluded.
Existing illness or handicap: Disconnection may be prevented upon presentation, within five (5) days of receiving a disconnect notice, of the duly licensed physician's certificate which shall certify that a domestic subscriber or resident within such subscriber's household has an existing illness or handicap which would cause such subscriber or resident to suffer an immediate and serious health hazard by the disconnection of the utility. This shall prevent the disconnection of the utility's service for a period of thirty (30) days from the filing. Only one (1) postponement shall be allowed for each incidence of any due date.
Reconnection fees: If a disconnect is made, reconnection may be made during regular working hours, upon payment of your account in full, plus a reconnection charge $35.00 and a $5.00 collection charge. After hours, or on weekends or holidays, you may call our service person at 402- 826-4312, and upon payment of your account, plus a reconnection charge of $50.00 and a $5.00 collection charge, service will be restored.
Installment payments and public assistance: A domestic subscriber may arrange installment payments for this bill by consulting our office staff. Welfare recipients may qualify for assistance in payment of a utility bill. Welfare recipients should contact their caseworkers regarding this matter.
- Spectrum Cable - 1-800-248-8823
- Black Hills Energy (natural gas company) - 1-888-890-5554
- Windstream (local telephone service) - 1-800-347-1991; Repair Service - 611
- Other television and phone services available, check local directory