Utility Bills and Rates
Update Nov. 9: City Hall is currently closed to in-person visitors. Contact staff by phone or email during regular business hours: Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm.
New billing software is in place effective August 2020. Please read more about the new look of city utility bills.
City of Crete
Departments of Public Works
Utilities and Payments
City Hall - 243 E. 13th Street
(Utility Office main entrance on south side)
P.O. Box 86
Crete, NE 68333
Public Works Directory
- A Utility Service Application must be filed in person with the Public Works Utility Office to set up a utility account;
- Billing includes electric, water, and wastewater services provided by the City of Crete and trash collection, with optional recycling service, franchised through The Garbage Company;
- A service deposit is required on all addresses; transferable if the resident moves to a new address within City service;
- Current utility customers who change residences in town or move out of Crete must update or terminate their service account at the Utility Office.
- If residents have any ongoing or immediate utilities issues or concerns they should to call the Public Works Office. If situations occur after regular business hours, calls to this number will be answered by dispatchers who will notify the proper on-call city personnel. This is the most direct and efficient way to contact the city regarding these issues.
- All utility billing statements are mailed the last business day of the month;
- Bills are due by 5:00 p.m. on the 15th of each month;
- Bills paid by the 15th include a 10% discount; accounts paid after this due date are subject to forfeiture of this discount;
- Accounts not paid by the due date receive a courtesy notice; a disconnect date is noted on the original bill and the courtesy notice;
- All accounts left unpaid at 9:00 a.m. on the disconnect day are considered disconnected, regardless of actual physical disconnection. To resume service, customers are required to pay billing due along with a $40.00 reconnect fee for each instance of disconnection. (See the Utilities Disconnect Policy below for more information regarding specific situations and assistance.)
Making a Payment:
- Personal checks, money orders, cash, or debit/credit cards are accepted;
- Pay in person at the Public Works Utility Office at City Hall, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (drive-thru and night drop available)
- Please have utility account information (billing statement) when making a payment;
- Pay by mail to City of Crete Public Works Department, 243 East 13th Street, Crete, NE 68333
- Make a payment online
- 'Xpress Bill Pay' is the City's online payment service for utility accounts - effective August 2020
- Patrons will be asked to sign up for an account on Xpress Bill Pay in order to use the service
- email and password are required at the online signup and each time a patron logs in to pay a utility bill
- Basic information will be required, along with a new utility account number, indicated on new utility bills (starting August 2020)
- Autopay and paperless billing options available through Xpress Bill Pay
- There is no convenience fee when using online payments.
- If you have any other questions, visit the Public Works Office at City Hall.
- View Current Electric Rates
- View Current Water Rates
- Residential Sewer Rate: Monthly customer fee $29.70, plus $2.63 per 1,000 gallons average monthly water consumption for the lowest three months of water usage of the five winter months of November, December, January February and March (Calculated each April) or $37.51 average sewer fee for customers without usage history.
- Commercial Sewer Rates: Contact the Public Works Office at 402-826-4312.
- Garbage and Recycling Weekly Collection: Residential Rates - Monthly: Single Tote: $19.95; Two Totes: $24.70; Seasonal Yard Waste: $12.00. A separate recycling tote is included free of charge. Commercial Rates: Totes and dumpsters are available with options for the number of weekly collections. Contact The Garbage Company directly at 1-800-322-4272.
- Please see the Public Works sections at left for more information on these City departments.
Energy Efficiency Programs
The City of Crete Department of Public Works, in partnership with its wholesale electric power supplier, the Municipal Energy Agency of Nebraska, is continuing to provide four energy efficiency programs to assist in lowering energy costs for local utility customers through energy efficiency improvements. Find more information and application materials.
Billing disputes: If you have a dispute over a utility bill, you may file a written request with the Public Works Department, located at City Hall, 241 East 13th Street, Crete Nebraska 68333, Prior to the disconnect date, stating the area of dispute and the relief requested. The Public Works Department shall schedule a conference within fourteen (14) days and notify you in writing by first class mail or in person of the time and place it will be held. No disconnect will be made until the conference is concluded.
Existing illness or handicap: Disconnection may be prevented upon presentation, within five (5) days of receiving a disconnect notice, of the duly licensed physician's certificate which shall certify that a domestic subscriber or resident within such subscriber's household has an existing illness or handicap which would cause such subscriber or resident to suffer an immediate and serious health hazard by the disconnection of the utility. This shall prevent the disconnection of the utility's service for a period of thirty (30) days from the filing. Only one (1) postponement shall be allowed for each incidence of any due date.
Reconnection fees: If a disconnect is made, reconnection may be made during regular working hours, upon payment of your account in full, plus a reconnection charge $35.00 and a $5.00 collection charge. After hours, or on weekends or holidays, you may call our service person at 402- 826-4312, and upon payment of your account, plus a reconnection charge of $50.00 and a $5.00 collection charge, service will be restored.
Installment payments and public assistance: A domestic subscriber may arrange installment payments for this bill by consulting our office staff. Welfare recipients may qualify for assistance in payment of a utility bill. Welfare recipients should contact their caseworkers regarding this matter.
- Spectrum Cable - 1-800-248-8823
- Black Hills Energy (natural gas company) - 1-888-890-5554
- Windstream (local telephone service) - 1-800-347-1991; Repair Service - 611
- Other television and phone services available, check local directory