Update Dec. 12, 2022: The burn ban for the Crete Fire district has been lifted. The department will again be approving burn permits as weather allows. Burn permits can be obtained at City Hall Public Works office or below. Once filled out they must be submitted to the Public Works office for approval. Please continue to be mindful of safe burning procedures.
The City of Crete - Crete Fire Department issues open burning permits in accordance with the following:
- Nebraska Statute 81-520.01 states there shall be a statewide open burning ban on all bonfires, outdoor rubbish fires, and fires for the purpose of clearing land.
- The fire chief of a local fire department of his or her designee may waive an open burning ban for an area under his or her jurisdiction by issuing an open burning permit to a person requesting permission to conduct open burning.
- Crete Volunteer Fire Department & Rescue Squad serves the Crete Fire District (pdf map)
Permit information required: owner's name and phone number, person supervising the burn and phone number, burn location, person assuming responsibility in event fire comes out of control.
- Permit holders must contact the city before any burn: call 402.826.4312 (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.)
- Burning is allowed on weekends, but permission must be obtained on the last business day of the week during business hours.
- Burns must not start before sunrise and all open flame must be extinguished before sunset on each day of the burn.
- Burning is not permitted when the wind is expected to blow more that 15 mph (according to National Weather Service) on the day of the burn.
- No burning is allowed during Red Flag Warnings in the area.
- Permit must be signed by the fire chief.
Submit a completed Burn Permit in one of the following ways:
- Copies are available in the Public Works Office
- View/Download the City of Crete - Open Burning Permit
- print and return to the Public Works office at City Hall
- email a copy to the Public Works office
Crete Volunteer Fire Department
Burn Permits - City Hall Public Works Office: 402.826.4312 | 243 East 13th Street