The City of Crete - Crete Fire Department issues open burning permits in accordance with the following:
- Nebraska Statute 81-520.01 states there shall be a statewide open burning ban on all bonfires, outdoor rubbish fires, and fires for the purpose of clearing land.
- The fire chief of a local fire department of his or her designee may waive an open burning ban for an area under his or her jurisdiction by issuing an open burning permit to a person requesting permission to conduct open burning.
- Crete Volunteer Fire Department & Rescue Squad serves the Crete Fire District (pdf map)
Permit information required: owner's name and phone number; person supervising the burn and phone number; burn location and directions to the area; date and time of burn.
- Permit holders must contact the city before any burn: call 402.826.4312 (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.)
- Burning is permitted on weekends, but calls must be made during the weekday hours listed before any burn.
- Burns must not start before sunrise and all open flame must be extinguished before sunset on each day of the burn.
- Burning is not permitted when the wind is expected to blow more that 15 mph (according to National Weather Service) on the day of the burn.
- No burning is allowed during Red Flag Warnings in the area.
- Permit must be signed by the fire chief.
- return a completed copy in one of the following ways:
- print and return to the Public Works office at City Hall
- email a copy to the Public Works office
Crete Volunteer Fire Department
Burn Permits - City Hall Public Works Office: 402.826.4312 | 243 East 13th Street