Local Agencies & Programs
For information on finding and accessing local services and programs, contact the Community Assistance Office at City Hall.
Community links are provided here for more information:
Driver’s License Exams and Vehicle Registrations
- General Information from Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles
- Saline County Courthouse in Wilber (10 miles south of Crete on Hwy 103)
- Handicap Parking: Physicians are able to make the application to the State of Nebraska for a permit online.
- Nebraska Secretary of State, online voter registration
- Or contact the Saline County Clerk's Office in Wilber.
Saline County Area Transit serves Saline County with a specific route and slate of drivers for Crete to provide basic transportation Monday through Friday (5 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 to 5 p.m.). The vehicle is ADA equipped and there is no age limit to ride. Call locally 402-418-2743 or the office at 402-433-4511 for details, fare prices or view online.
Blue Valley Community Action is a private, non-profit organization with programs aimed at eliminating the causes of poverty in a nine-county service area including Saline County and Crete. Categories of BVCA programs include food pantry, basic needs, education, family development, health and nutrition, housing, veterans assistance, transportation, and volunteer opportunities. Crete offices are located in the Blue River Family Center at 325 East 9th Street.
Food banks and local distribution sites:
- Blue Valley Community Action (above) Food Pantry - Saline County - services
- Food Bank of Lincoln, distribution site at Doane University Crete campus - Tuesday schedule
- Foodnet distribution at Wanek Community Center, 14th and Main ave, Crete - Saturday schedule
Saline County Veterans Service Office was created by state statute to assist veterans and their dependents in times of need, or to file for all County, State or Federal benefits earned. More information...
Region V Services is a political subdivision providing desired education and support to individuals with developmental disabilities and their families in southeast and eastern Nebraska. More information...
Public Health Solutions - District Health Department is the five-county district health department, which includes Saline County, and is guided by a Board of Health. Offices in Crete are located at 995 East Highway 33, Suite 1.
- Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer and can be found all over the U.S. impacting indoor air quality. The EPA and Surgeon General recommend testing homes for radon and provide information for inexpensive and simple testing procedures.
Southeast Nebraska CASA recruits, trains and supports community volunteers who advocate for abused and neglected children in the Seward, Saline, Thayer, Jefferson and Gage County court system. CASA is central to fulfilling society's most fundamental obligation by making sure a qualified, compassionate adult will fight for and protect a child's right to be safe, to be treated with dignity and respect, and to learn and grow in the security of a loving family. More information...
University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension in Saline County delivers research-based education and information to citizens throughout the county. These educational programs, delivered via a variety of methods, are offered through a federal, state and county partnership arrangement. More information…
Crete Housing Authority The City of Crete Housing Authority is a governmental entity with the mission of providing affordable housing to the residents of Crete. The housing authority operates and manages Centennial Terrace, a 40 unit public housing property for the elderly, handicapped and disabled residents of Crete. Staff is also responsible for the administration and oversight of the HUD Section 8 Rent Subsidy Program in Crete. The city's five-member Housing Authority Board meets once a month.