Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

City of Crete Nebraska




Ajax Loading Image


Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to frequently asked questions and links to additional city information.

General questions and frequently searched items are provided here with appropriate links to answers on the City of Crete website or outside resources. 

  • New to Crete? Find more useful information here...
  • Looking for a form or document, start here...
  • Visit or call Crete City Hall, 243 East 13th Street, 402.826.4312
  • Check out the City Maps article and link to online mapping of zoning, council wards, parks, etc.
  • Find other city news and updates

Spring 2024:

City Council and City Clerk or county/state office links:

City Council, voting locations, agenda items, sidewalk cafe permits, door-to-door sales, liquor licenses, handicap permits, vehicle titles, driver's licenses

Q: Who are my city council representatives? Where do I vote for elections?

A: The City of Crete is divided into three wards for council representation and voting purposes. View map. You can also contact the Saline County Election Commissioner at 402-821-2374 for voter registration and absentee ballots. Nebraska Secretary of State also has online voter registration

Q: How do I comment at a city council meeting or request to be on the agenda?

A: Crete City Council meetings and Committee meetings are open to the public. View the Public Comment and Agenda Item Request article for more information on city council meetings.

Q: How do I request open public records from the City?

A: Please complete and submit a Records Request form the City Clerk's Office.

Q: What are the city's Snow Emergency Routes?

A: After a significant snow event, three or more inches of accumulation, the city may declare a Snow Emergency. During a Snow Emergency parking along marked Emergency Snow Routes is prohibited and vehicles in violation will be towed. Find out more in the Winter Weather Guide.

Q: How to I get a Sidewalk Cafe permit for my downtown business?

A: Sidewalk Cafés cannot be constructed or operated until all permits are issued, not just applied for. See the Business Registration section for more information on this process.

Q: What do I have to do to sell products door to door?

A: The City of Crete requires a permit to sell products door to door in residential areas. You can apply for the permit at the City Clerk's office at City Hall during regular business hours or find the permit online. You will need a Nebraska Department of Revenue Sales Tax Number and personal identification to apply for the permit. Click here for the City Code regarding this permit.

Q: Who do I contact about providing alcohol for a special event?

A: Any establishment that has a State of Nebraska Liquor License can apply to the Nebraska Liquor Control Commission for a Special Designated License to cater an event. Non-profit organizations are also able to apply to the Liquor Control Commission for a Special Designated License to serve alcohol at an event.

Q: Where do I register my vehicle and obtain a driver's license?

A: Vehicle titles, driver's license testing, and local court proceedings are all handled through the Saline County Courthouse in Wilber. Find more links here.

Q: Who do I contact about a Handicap Parking Permit?

A: Your Physician is able to make the application to the State of Nebraska for your permit online.

Q: What are the city's regulations on ATV and UTV (all-terrain vehicle and utility-type vehicle) use within the city limits?

A: ATVs and UTVs are allowed to operate within city limits under certain conditions and after completing a permitting process. See regulations in Chapter 5, Article 9 of Crete City Code or visit the City Clerk's Office.

City utilities, services & programs:

Utility services and concerns, library cards, recreation programs, veteran recognition bricks, animal licenses, prohibited animals, trash and recycling routes, leaves and branches, energy efficiency programs

Q: How do I open an account for city electric, water, sewer, and trash/recycling services?

A: A Utility Service Application must be filed in person with the Public Works Utility Office to set up a utility account. Current utility customers who change residences in town or move out of Crete must update or terminate their service account at the Utility Office.

Q: What do I do if I have no electric service or other utility issues?

A: Electric: Check all breakers or fuses in the home, if the problem is not solved, call Public Works Office, 402.826.4312. If residents have any ongoing or immediate utilities issues or concerns (electric, water, sewer, trash or recycling, street conditions) they should call the Public Works Office. If situations occur after regular business hours, calls to this number will be answered by dispatchers who will notify the proper on-call city personnel. This is the most direct and efficient way to contact the city regarding these issues.

Q: Can I reserve or rent park spaces or other city-owned facilities?

A: Currently, the Wanek Community Center and Crete Carrier Community Room (at Crete Public Library) can be rented; park spaces available for free reservation include the City Park Bandstand and the picnic shelter at Tuxedo Park. Find more information about these spaces and other requests for event usage.

Q: How do I get a Crete Public Library card?

A: Crete Public Library cards are free. Visit the library (1515 Forest Ave.) or apply online. Find out the necessary information you need.

Q: Where are Crete's public parks and playgrounds? What if I have a park concern or suggestion?

A: View a map of the city's public parks on the interactive gWorks map (select the 'Parks & Amenities' Layer on the left hand side and zoom in to see highlighted areas). Contact the Parks and Recreation Department at City Hall with any concerns or suggestions about parks and programs.

Q: How do I sign my child up for youth recreation programs online?

A: Crete Parks and Recreation utilizes RecDesk for program registration and information. Forms are also available at City Hall prior to each season's start date. View the full 2024 Recreation program schedule and registration dates (pdf) or find it on RecDesk

Q: How do I order a veteran recognition brick for the monument in City Park?

A: Forms are available at the City Hall Utility Office or see the Parks and Recreation Department - Veterans Monument page, for a link to the order form.

Q: What types of animals are allowed within city limits?

A: The Crete Police Department is located at 1945 Forest Ave. View animal requirements, prohibited animals, and animal control.

Q: When is the garbage or recycling picked up on my street and what items can I recycle?

A: Garbage collection is on Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday depending on your address; recycling collection is on Thursdays. (View information, routes and accepted recyclable items.).

Q: Where can I take branches and other yard waste? Where can I take old appliances or scrap metal?

A: The City of Crete Transfer Station is 1/2 mile north of Highway 33 on Boswell Ave. with hours on Tuesdays and Saturdays. (view hours and accepted items)

Q: Does the City practice mosquito control?

A: The City of Crete is diligent in the fight against disease carrying mosquitoes. Mosquito spraying is done on a weekly schedule, weather conditions permitting, starting in June. Spraying in town is on Mondays and Thursdays starting about 30 minutes before sunset until finished, about 11:30 p.m. The route covers within the city limits and depends on wind direction. Tuxedo Park is treated with spray on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings to avoid activities in the park.

Q: Where can I find information on local energy efficiency programs?

A: Currently, the City of Crete in partnership with its wholesale electric power supplier, the Municipal Energy Agency of Nebraska, is continuing to provide five energy efficiency programs to assist in lowering energy costs for local utility customers through energy efficiency improvements.

Building and Zoning, business development:

Building permits, zoning map, economic development programs, business registration

Q: Where do I find building permits and for what types of projects do I need a permit?

A: The Municipal Building Inspector handles all building permits and zoning regulation inquiries. Permits are available online.

Q: How do I find out about economic development programs like Downtown Revitalization, LB840, and Tax Increment Financing?

A: The Community and Economic Development Office at City Hall, 243 East 13th Street, handles these programs.

Q: I want to start a business in Crete, what do I need to do?

A: The City of Crete has a business registration policy through the City Clerk's office, see more information.  Contact should also be made with the Nebraska Department of Revenue at 402-471-2971 to apply for a Nebraska Sales Tax Number. You should also contact the City of Crete Building Inspector's Office at 402-826-4312 to be sure you comply with zoning regulations.

city of crete logo