Borrow & Reserve Materials
The Library building is open to public access with capacity and service limitations in place. Browsing materials and patron computer use is allowed. Face coverings are required. Read more about current services.
The Crete Public Library provides access to more than 27,000 print and audio visual resources. These include adult and juvenile fiction and non-fiction books, audio books, DVDs and videos, large print books, newspapers and magazines. The Library also provides access to eBooks and audiobooks through OverDrive. A variety of databases are also available for patron use. Microfilm records of past and present area newspapers are also available for viewing and printing.
- Present your library card when checking out materials.
- Individual card holders may borrow up to twenty items from the library at one time. Patrons with a family card may borrow up to forty items.
- Books, magazines, audio books, cake pans and DVDs may be checked out for two weeks.
- DVDs are limited to eight per household.
- Books, magazines, audio books and DVDs all have a seven-day grace period that follows their due date during which no fines accrue.
- Material may be renewed as long as there have been no other requests for it. Generally, a maximum of two renewals is allowed, but this is determined on a case by case basis.
- InterLibrary Loan (ILL) service is open for books not in the CPL collection, but available at other libraries that are still offering the service at this time; patrons do pay the mailing cost (one way only) for books loaned through this service.
Patrons can reserve items through the online catalog or call the library (402.826.3809) and talk to a staff member about reserving materials.
Drive-up pickup window and materials dropoff
The Library offers a drive-thru pickup and drop-off window for patrons who find access to the library physically challenging or need a more convenient and quick library visit. Items must be reserved in advance by phone or online to pickup at the window. The drive-up also has collection slots for returning books and media materials. Access the pickup lane from Forest Ave, just west of the 15th Street intersection.
- Log in to the Library Catalog (upper right corner) with your library card numbers only and the phone number (no dashes) assigned to your account.
- 402 area code, use only the 7-digit phone number
- Other area codes, use the 10-digit phone number
- Find materials (upper left) by searching subjects, titles, and authors. In the search results, click on titles to view more information and library availability. When viewing a title:
- Click 'Reserve This Item'
- Choose 'Pickup Window' for drive-thru or 'Inside' to pickup in the library
- Confirm your phone or email for notifications
- Click 'Place Reserve'
- Check your phone or email for notifications when items are ready
- Drive through the pickup lane at 15th and Forest Ave. during regular library hours to pickup your materials.