Crete Community Garden
2019 applications now available
Crete Community Garden
10th and Thornwood Ave
(South of the intersection about a half block)
The garden is located in southwest Crete, established in 2012 after land was donated to the City of Crete for the purpose of creating a community garden.
The garden is fenced with an entrance gate and parking area. Amenities available to garden participants include a water hydrant, potting tables and benches, tomato/plant cages, compost bins, and a shed stocked with basic gardening tools. The fenced garden includes a new arbor entrance funded and installed by the Crete Rotary Club in the fall of 2017. (Go to Parks and Recreation Department Main Page)
Individual garden plots typically measure 7 feet by 12 feet and are rented for the season at $25 each. Gardeners may rent additional plots at $20 each. A $20 deposit per gardener is returned to those who abide by garden rules and participate in a fall clean up of their plots.
Gardening applications are made available by March 1 each year and plots are assigned on a first come, first served basis. No plots will be assigned after June 1. Applications are available at City Hall - Public Works Office, Crete Public Library, or at the links below.
Garden applications for 2019 are now available. The download links below include the application and an informational brochure with the garden layout, dates to remember, and garden rules.
- Read more about this season at the garden and recommendations for gardening after a flood.
- Garden dates to remember:
- March 1: Applications available. Application review and plot assignments begin on a first-come, first-served basis.
- May 1: Gardeners can begin planting (or earlier based on individual request). Some seeds may be available in the garden shed.
- June 1: All plots assigned.
- Harvest recommendations due to March 2019 flooding:
- June 15: harvest crops that have not come in contact with soil - tomatoes, peppers, etc.
- July 15: harvest crops that have contact with soil - greens, potatoes and other root crops.
- Nov. 30: All plants removed and plots cleaned; deposits returned contingent on clean-up.
- Visit the Crete Community Garden Facebook Page for regular updates during the growing season