Crete Community Garden
10th and Thornwood Ave
(South of the intersection about a half block)
The garden is located in southwest Crete, established in 2012 after land was donated to the City of Crete for the purpose of creating a community garden available to Crete residents.
Amenities available to garden participants include a parking area, water hydrant and hoses, potting tables and benches, tomato/plant cages, compost bins, and a shed stocked with basic gardening tools. (Go to Parks and Recreation Department Main Page)
Individual garden plots typically measure 7 feet by 12 feet and are rented for the season at $25 each. Gardeners may rent additional plots at $20 each. A $20 deposit per gardener is returned to those who abide by garden rules and participate in a fall clean up of their plots.
Gardening applications are made available in March each year and plots are assigned on a first come, first served basis. Applications are available at City Hall - Public Works Office or at the links below.
The 2021 garden information, dates, and application packet:.
- View/download garden application and information sheet: English / Español
- applications are also available at City Hall, 243 East 13th Street.
- Please return applications by mail or to City Hall
- Garden dates to remember:
- March 1: Applications available. Application review and plot assignments begin on a first-come, first-served basis.
- May 1: Gardeners can begin planting.
- Nov. 30: All plants removed and plots cleaned; deposits returned contingent on clean-up.
- Visit the Crete Community Garden Facebook Page for regular updates during the growing season