Crete Community Garden
Plots will continue to be assigned until July 1 this year
10th and Thornwood Ave
(South of the intersection about a half block)
The garden is located in southwest Crete, established in 2012 after land was donated to the City of Crete for the purpose of creating a community garden.
The garden is fenced with an entrance gate and parking area. Amenities available to garden participants include a water hydrant, potting tables and benches, tomato/plant cages, compost bins, and a shed stocked with basic gardening tools. The fenced garden includes a new arbor entrance funded and installed by the Crete Rotary Club in the fall of 2017. (Go to Parks and Recreation Department Main Page)
Individual garden plots typically measure 7 feet by 12 feet and are rented for the season at $25 each. Gardeners may rent additional plots at $20 each. A $20 deposit per gardener is returned to those who abide by garden rules and participate in a fall clean up of their plots.
Gardening applications are made available by March 1 each year and plots are assigned on a first come, first served basis. Applications are available at City Hall - Public Works Office or at the links below.
- applications are also available at City Hall, 243 East 13th Street.
- Please return applications by mail, drop at City Hall drive-thru, or email.
- Garden dates to remember:
- March 1: Applications available. Application review and plot assignments begin on a first-come, first-served basis.
- May 1: Gardeners can begin planting (or earlier based on individual request). Some seeds may be available in the garden shed.
- Update June 1: plots will assigned until July 1 for the 2020 season.
- plots 27-32 on the garden layout are unavailable this season.
- Nov. 30: All plants removed and plots cleaned; deposits returned contingent on clean-up.
- Visit the Crete Community Garden Facebook Page for regular updates during the growing season