City of Crete
Departments of Public Works
City Hall - 243 East 13th Street
Service Center - 320 West 9th Street
Public Works: 402.826.4312
Public Works Directory
To report problems with water service, please call the Public Works Department.
The City of Crete Municipal Water System in Crete consists of six wells ranging from 180 to 250 ft. in depth. The system has a combined pumping capacity of 3,500 gallons per minute and a total storage capacity of 2,000,000 gallons – 1,000,000 in underground storage and 1,000,000 in the water tower built in 1993.
The average daily demand is 940,000 gallons with the historic peak daily demand nearing 2,000,000 gallons. The system has a maximum capacity of 5.76 million gallons in a 24-hour day. The static pressure varies from 65 to 110 psi, depending upon the elevation.
For detailed information regarding Crete’s Drinking water and the efforts to provide safe drinking water, see the 2019 Water Quality Report.
- View Current Water Rates
- A service deposit is required on all addresses; transferable if the resident moves to a new address within City service
- More information on Utility Billing and Payment information.
Hydrant and water main flushing
It is necessary to flush fire hydrants and mains at regular intervals to clean them and to check fire hydrant condition. City Water Department employees flush fire hydrants and water mains for this regular maintenance in April and October. Dates are announced in advance for the days and times different areas of town will be affected.
Hydrants and water mains are typically flushed over three days, weather permitting. It is recommended laundering be postponed in the affected areas until the water has cleared several hours after flushing. The Public Works Department regrets the inconvenience that will result from the rusty, discolored water.
Hydrant and water main flushing scheduled for April 2021 - with specific dates to be announced.
Go to the online map and select 'Hydrant flushing' under the Layers tab.
- Area 1: The portion of Crete south of the Burlington tracks and from Grove Avenue west to the Blue River, and that area west of the Blue River;
- Area 2: The portion of Crete north of the Burlington tracks;
- Area 3: The portion of Crete south of the Burlington tracks and from Grove Avenue east.