Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

City of Crete Nebraska


Public Works


Ajax Loading Image


Building Inspector FAQ

Frequently asked questions to the Building Inspector's office

The Building Inspector's office is located on the first floor of City Hall, Crete, NE.

Q.  When do I need a building permit?

A.  The City of Crete requires building permits if you plan to construct, erect, enlarge, alter, repair, improve, remove, convert or demolish any building or dwelling. Some examples would be replacing a water heater, furnace or air conditioner.      

Q.  Where do I get a building permit?

A.  Permits are issued through the Building Inspector's office on the 1st floor of Crete City Hall at 243 East 13th Street. City Hall is open Monday - Friday, from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. An elevator is accessible from the ground floor entrance on the south side of the building. Permits can be downloaded from this site and returned to City Hall.

Q.  Why get a building permit?

A.  The Building Inspector will do inspections to make sure construction codes are adhered to for the health and safety of the owner and the general public.

Q.  How long does it take to get a permit?

A.   Simple permits like a fence or shed usually can be issued immediately. Permits for homes and larger commercial projects need to be reviewed and could take from 1 to 10 days.

Q.  What do I need to bring to get a building permit?

A.   A plan showing the 4 corners of your lot and the location you are putting the building or addition. If it’s a new home or commercial building we need 3 copies of the plan with construction details. You’ll also need to fill out a building permit form, which can be obtained online or in the Building Inspector’s office. 

Q.  Do I need a permit to build a fence or a garden shed?

A.   Yes, there are building codes that determine where you place them and the size they can be.

Q.  Do I need a permit for a sign?

A.   Yes, the city has regulations on sign placement, types and sizes.

Q.  Can I have construction or landscaping materials placed on my street, sidewalk or in the alley during a project?

A.   City code states rock, gravel, dirt, construction material, litter, and/or containers thereof cannot be placed upon any street, alley, right-of-way, or sidewalk without prior permission from the Department of Public Works.

Q.  Where can I find information on local energy efficiency programs?

A.   Currently, the City of Crete in partnership with its wholesale electric power supplier, the Municipal Energy Agency of Nebraska, is continuing to provide five energy efficiency programs to assist in lowering energy costs for local utility customers through energy efficiency improvements.


City Hall is open Monday - Friday, from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. The Municipal Building Inspector’s Office is located on the first floor. An elevator is accessible from the ground floor entrance on the south side of the building. Find more information from the Building Inspector's Office