New letter-size utility bills; Xpress Bill Pay used for online utility payments
Changes effective August 2020
The City of Crete is utilizing a new software system for utility billing, which includes a change in the format of bills customers will receive each month.
Letter-size utility bills will be mailed in envelopes and the online payment portal will switch to Xpress Bill Pay; all changes are effective August 2020.
The new statements will contain all the information as the former bills, including a portion to detach and return with payment. The bottom portion of the bill must be returned with payment if paying in person or by mail. Bills and the envelope will both contain the city’s logo and appropriate information.
Online bill payments will continue to be accepted, but through a new service, Xpress Bill Pay, with billing choices for auto pay and paperless billing. Payment options include direct from a bank account or credit/debit card information, which will not include a convenience fee.
The online Xpress Bill Pay link will be accessed on the city website under Quicklinks/Pay Utility Bill Online or under the Public Works tab/Utility Rates and Payments.
(Examples of the new paper bill and the online pay service are located in the photo gallery in this article.)
City of Crete utility bills include electric, water, and wastewater services, and trash collection with optional recycling service.
- A Utility Service Application is available online or in the office and must be filed in person with the Public Works Utility Office to set up a utility account;
- A service deposit is required on all addresses; transferable if the resident moves to a new address within City service;
- All utility billing statements are mailed the last business day of the month;
- Bills are due by 5:00 p.m. on the 15th of each month;
- Bills paid by the 15th receive a 10% discount; accounts paid after the due date are subject to forfeiture of this discount;
- Accounts not paid by the due date receive a courtesy notice; a disconnect date is noted on the original bill and the courtesy notice;
- Pay in person at City Hall during regular business hours by coming into the utility office or using the drive-thru; night drop is available in the drive-thru after hours;
- Pay by mail: City of Crete Public Works Department, 243 East 13th Street, Crete, NE 68333;
- Pay online using the new Xpress Bill Pay service linked on the city website as “Pay Utility Bill Online”
Customers with questions should contact or visit the Public Works Office at City Hall.