Splash pad off at Wildwood Pool, replacement planned
Last week the Wildwood Pool splash pad suffered a catastrophic failure with its water system underneath and the pad raised significantly. The splash pad will not be operational this season.
The city has engaged the engineer and the installer on what happened and what the city needs to do moving forward. The news is not good and the extent of the situation will not be known definitively until crews can see under the concrete.
Crews will not be demolishing the splash pad until after the pool closes in August and at that time they will determine the point of failure. Estimates show the demo and replacement expenses in excess of $100,000.
The City and Parks and Recreation Department has established the following plan for the remainder of the 2019 pool season and further replacement of the splash pad:
- The city will offer refunds to people whose sole intent was to use the splash pad.
- The city will seek to utilize lessons learned from the pool managers and lifeguards on what has worked and what could be better with the splash pad.
- The city will solicit ideas for new features on the new splash pad.
- The managers and lifeguards will be available for any suggestions from kids and parents on a new and redesigned splash pad.
- The city website and social media pages will be accessible for ideas moving forward.
- Please follow the city’s work in this process of investigation, design, bid, and construction of the new facility for the 2020 season.