Welcome to Crete!
Crete is located in the northeast corner of Saline County, about 25 miles from Lincoln, the state capital. The city was platted in the late 1860s along the Burlington Missouri River Railroad and the banks of the Big Blue River. The current city is home to 7,037 residents (2015 census) with several major industries, a successful public school district and parochial grade school, stable business community, new public library, well-maintained public parks, over a dozen churches, active volunteer organizations, and a nationally-known, liberal arts university.
New to Crete?
Crete has many amenities to offer longtime residents and new residents who have chosen to make this small city their home. This website is regularly updated with relevant information pertaining to City of Crete functions and services as well as various listings for community resources, agencies, and organizations.
City Hall is located at 243 East 13th Street with the Public Works Office entrance on the south side of the building. Please visit or call with questions and city staff would be happy to assist you, 402-826-4312.
- Crete has a Mayor and Council form of city government with six council members elected from three wards.
- Set up your utility account at the Public Works Office at City Hall. A summary of utility rates and billing can be found under the Public Works section.
- If residents have any ongoing or immediate utilities issues or concerns (electric, water, sewer, trash or recycling) they should to call the Public Works Office, 402.826.4312. If situations occur after regular business hours, calls to this number will be answered by dispatchers who will notify the proper on-call city personnel. This is the most direct and efficient way to contact the city regarding these issues.
- Follow official City of Crete social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- The Community Assistance Office provides a number of services and referrals for new and existing Crete residents.
- The City Parks and Recreation Department maintains 11 public parks and administers youth and adult recreation programs on a year-round schedule.
- Sign up for a Crete Public Library card and find other resources and programs available at the library.
- The Crete Chamber of Commerce is a great resource for businesses and services.
- The local, weekly newspaper is The Crete News with an office at 1201 Linden Ave.
- The Crete Police Department is located at 1945 Forest Ave. and is the place to license your dog or cat. View animal licensing requirements, permitted animals and animal control.
- The Departments tab above includes pages like Frequently Asked Questions.
- Many city-related forms or documents are available online.
- The Building Inspector's Office can answer questions about building permits and zoning issues.
- Check out the Living in Crete section as a starting place to many community agencies, organizations, healthcare, education, and activities.
- Vehicle titles and driver's license testing, County and District Court proceedings are all handled through Saline County in Wilber; or find more links here;
Local, state and federal government representation:
- Wilber is the county seat and includes the courthouse and Saline County Sheriff's Department;
- Saline County Commissioner Districts 2, 4 and 5 incorporate parts of Crete;
- State Legislative District 32 (Saline, Thayer, Jefferson, Fillmore and southwest Lancaster counties), represented by State Senator Tom Brandt, of Plymouth;
- U.S. House of Representatives, Third Congressional District is represented by Adrian Smith;
- U.S. Senators are Ben Sasse and Deb Fischer.