All recycling collection will be on Thursdays starting April 1
Beginning April 1, 2021, the City of Crete's two recycling routes (Monday and Thursday) will consolidate to Thursdays after the City Council approved a requested change from The Garbage Company at the regular meeting on March 2.
Customers south of 13th Street with current recycling collection on Mondays will have their recycling picked up on Thursdays beginning April 1.
If The Garbage Company misses any recycling collection on Thursdays, please call the Public Works Office at City Hall, 402.826.4312, and the company will be notified to have it picked up on Friday.
Garbage collection routes on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays remain the same.
- Please rinse out all food and beverage containers, and plastic items before recycling;
- Accepted items:
- Aluminum & Tin: Aluminum and tin cans, formed aluminum containers (example: disposable pie plates) and clean aluminum foil;
- Paper: Newspaper (including advertising supplements), magazines, brown grocery bags, telephone books, catalogs, office paper, junk mail, envelopes; empty chipboard (cereal boxes), wet strength carrier stock (TV dinner boxes).
- Cardboard: place clean corrugated cardboard boxes or shipping boxes under toter; break down or cut boxes so they are flat and no bigger than 2 X 2 ft;
- Plastic: numbers 1 - 7 plastic containers (numbers are located on bottom of container): soda/water/juice bottles, milk bottles, butter tubs, sour cream carton, dip containers, detergent/bleach bottles, household cleaner bottles etc.;
- Not accepted: Styrofoam, rubber bands, soiled paper (pizza boxes/sandwich wrappers), food, tissue paper, paper towels, wax coated paper, shrink-wrap, plastic bags, wood, and glass.
- On collection day or the night before, totes should be placed next to the curb, not blocking the sidewalk and away from other obstacles such as posts or vehicles. On any day not scheduled for pickup, totes should be stored adjacent to the residence and not in front yards or at the street. Fines may be assessed for containers left at the curb.