Avoid scams by knowing these important utility account details
The following is important information to know about City of Crete utility accounts in order to avoid potential scams.
- a utility disconnect date is noted on every bill and a courtesy notice is mailed from the city on bills which are past due;
- All envelopes with bills or notices will contain the city logo and address;
- Crete utility bills can be paid in person during regular business hours at the City Hall Utility Office, drive-thru, mailed, or online by using the “Pay Utility Bill Online" link at www.crete.ne.gov which takes customers to the Xpress Bill Pay website;
- The only types of payment accepted are: cash, check, money order, or credit/debits cards; no other forms of payment are accepted by the city. All payments are made to the City of Crete, Department of Public Works.
- Find more information on city utility bills and payments
If customers are further concerned, they are encouraged to contact the Crete Police Department, 402.826.4311, to report a potential scam.
No utility company will ask customers to purchase payment cards from a retail store (Walmart, Dollar General, etc.) to be sent to someone else or ask customers to call back with information from cards they have purchased.
If residents have questions about their bills or payments, please contact the City Utility Office, 402.826.4312.